A version of the following article appeared in the May 20, 2026, edition of The Charlotte Ledger, an e-newsletter with local business-y news and insights for Charlotte, N.C.
Need to subscribe — or upgrade your Ledger e-newsletter subscription? Details here.
University avoids trial as both sides reach last-minute agreement in federal court
UNC Chapel Hill appears to have struck a deal to settle a lawsuit from a former student from Morganton who said he was improperly drummed out of the university after four women accused him of sexual misconduct.
The case, filed in 2023, was set to go to trial in federal court in Asheville last week. The student, referred to under the pseudonym “Jacob Doe” in court documents, said he lost his prestigious Morehead-Cain scholarship and missed out on educational opportunities and potential earnings when the school kicked him out. A university disciplinary panel found him guilty of two incidents in hearings that the student said were riddled with procedural errors.
Subscribe to The Charlotte Ledger's paid version to read the rest.
Become a paying member of The Charlotte Ledger to gain access to this post and other subscriber-only articles. (Paying Ledger members: Log in under "sign in" at the top of this page — no password required)
Upgrade