
It’s time for Fútbol Friday, The Charlotte Ledger’s weekly newsletter getting you up to speed on Charlotte FC.
➡️ Need to sign up for Fútbol Friday and other Charlotte-focused email newsletters from The Charlotte Ledger? You can do that here.
Aloko leads Charlotte FC’s youth movement in lockstep with Major League Soccer; rookie has first MLS goal, assist in past two games

Rodolfo Aloko made his first start for Charlotte FC in the U.S. Open Cup in the club’s 6-0 win over the Charlotte Independence on April 15. (Photo by Kevin Young of The 5 and 2 Project.)
Rodolfo Aloko, the 19-year-old winger from Benin, is fast, energetic and powerful. What’s taken some time to learn during his first season in Major League Soccer is how to harness those gifts.
When Aloko entered Charlotte FC’s game against Atlanta United on July 22, “he was like a wrecking ball,” Coach Dean Smith said afterward.
Charlotte has played eight games in 29 days since then, including three games in Leagues Cup, during the return from the World Cup break. On Saturday night, when Charlotte FC hosts D.C. United at Bank of America Stadium, it’ll be nine games in 32 days. That’s a game every 3.5 days for a month.
With increased chances for playing time, plus the summer transfers of wingers Wilfried Zaha, Kerwin Vargas and the gradual introduction of newcomer Allan Saint-Maximin, Aloko has gained both experience and traction.
Aloko has made three starts in Charlotte’s past five games, notching his first MLS assist against Columbus and first MLS goal Wednesday night against Toronto. He laid off a ball for midfielder Pep Biel with a critical touch in the box for Charlotte’s third and decisive goal in a 3-1 win over Columbus last Saturday.
His goal Wednesday came on the counterattack after Biel applied initial pressure and Ashley Westwood cashed in on the turnover. Westwood passed ahead to Aloko, who needed three touches to receive, turn and fire to the upper left-hand corner.
“Toronto had no answers for him,” noted Apple TV broadcaster Jessica Charman, the former Charlotte FC radio analyst who called Wednesday night’s game in Toronto.
Aloko’s play helped ease the sting of dropping a two-goal lead, despite having a man advantage on a Walker Zimmerman red card. Charlotte FC walked off with a 3-3 draw, one point and sixth place in the Eastern Conference.
Aloko should have had a second assist Wednesday, or perhaps a goal, when he squared a pass to Liel Abada, who stumbled on the ball before Idan Toklomati finished it off for a goal midway through the first half.
“I thought he was really good first half,” Smith said afterward of Aloko. “He was tough to play against, took his goal really well, rolled the lad for the second goal as well, set Liel (Abada) up for the big chance. It was a good all-round performance from him, and one that he can gain a lot of confidence from.”
Smith took some heat from fans online after subbing Aloko out for fellow rookie Tyger Smalls in the 69th minute but said afterward Aloko was starting to show signs of tiring. Heading into Saturday, though, it’s clear Aloko is making better use of his energy.
“Rodolfo was excellent,” said Westwood, who assisted two of Charlotte’s three goals Wednesday, including Aloko’s. “He looked a threat going forward. Not only that, his defensive work was outstanding. The way he listens, it's not easy to play next to me. I'm always barking orders, and he was excellent.”
Aloko is one of 78 teenagers to play a match this season in MLS, approaching the league record set in 2025
Rodolfo Aloko, Charlotte’s latest Under-22 initiative player, has been Charlotte’s answer to a recent trend across Major League Soccer of teenagers making an impact. According to MLS communications, entering this week, Aloko was one of 78 teenagers to have appeared in an MLS game this season, which is already the second most in MLS history with nearly half a season left to play. (The record was set last year with 83.)
Major League Soccer has nearly twice as many teenagers playing as the other major American sports leagues combined (NHL 23, NBA 16, MLB 1 and NFL 1, based on 2025-26 completed seasons). Even among the global professional soccer ranks, MLS’s youth movement is noteworthy. (All statistics provided by MLS Communications.)
Ligue 1, France, 110
Liga Prof. de Fútbol, Argentina, 90
Brasileirão, Brazil, 83
MLS, U.S., 78
Bundesliga, Germany, 64
Premier League, England, 58
Turkish Super Lig, Turkey, 57
EFL Championship, England, 53
LIGA MX, Mexico, 51
Primeira Liga, Portugal, 48
Some of the notable teenagers starring across MLS this season have been 18-year-old Julian Hall, who has nine goals for the so-dubbed New York “Baby” Bulls; 16-year-old Cavan Sullivan, who has eight goal contributions (seven assists) in 11 starts for Philadelphia; and 19-year-old Zavier Gozo, who just completed a transfer from Real Salt Lake to Crystal Palace of the English Premier League.
🗳️ Take our poll: Watch party?
We’re considering holding an event to watch an upcoming Charlotte FC game.
But we want to know if that is something folks are interested in. Let us know what you think!
Would you attend a Charlotte FC watch party hosted by The Charlotte Ledger at a local brewery? ⚽️🍺
Matching mullets for Brooks and Brandt Bronico
Midfielder Brandt Bronico has worked his way back into Charlotte’s lineup, starting four of Charlotte’s past five games including Leagues Cup. He scored his second goal in that span and first in MLS play this season when he broke free in the box 29 seconds into Charlotte’s 3-1 win over Columbus. The early goal might have been the second most exciting thing to happen to Bronico last weekend, though, after he and his 1-year-old son, Brooks, got matching mullet haircuts last Friday.
“I think his hair looks better than mine,” Bronico said, smiling.
Bronico’s fifth annual BB13 Fundraiser to benefit Beds for Kids is set for Sept. 27 at Dave & Buster’s in Concord. The event sold out last year and only 200 tickets are available. Click here for more information.

Brooks Bronico (left) sporting his new mullet cut, like his father Brandt. (Photo from Brandt Bronico on Instagram, by Charlotte FC.)
Up next: Charlotte FC (8-7-5) vs. D.C. United (5-6-9)
When/Where: Saturday, 7:30 p.m. Bank of America Stadium
How to watch: MLS Season Pass on Apple TV. Find information about how to subscribe for the season here.
How to listen: WFNZ 92.7 in English, WOLS 106.1 in Spanish.
Notable
Charlotte FC foiled its chance at a potential nine-point haul this week (three wins at three points each) with a 3-3 draw in Toronto, where a two-goal lead and one man advantage wasn’t enough to secure a win.
Charlotte FC has gone 6-2-3 at Bank of America Stadium this season and is unbeaten in its past four MLS games.
Allan Saint-Maximin is edging closer to his first MLS start. He’s come off the bench for three straight games and looked especially lively against Toronto with two shots on target in 21 minutes.
Smith said Wednesday that Biel, who leads Charlotte with 10 goals, has been nursing an ankle injury, which is why Smith pulled him in Toronto in the 79th minute. Right back Nathan Byrne (hamstring) traveled to Toronto but did not play.
Henry Kessler has beaten out Morrison Agyemang for the starting center back spot alongside Tim Ream. He scored his first MLS goal with Charlotte FC Wednesday on a header from a Westwood free kick.
Left back David Schnegg gets his first shot to play against his former team. D.C. United waived him after last season despite leading the club in matches (32) and minutes played (2,703).
Charlotte FC plays D.C. United twice in the next month, traveling to Washington on Sept. 19.
Carroll Walton is a longtime baseball writer with the Atlanta Journal-Constitution now in her fifth season covering Charlotte FC. She would love to hear from you. E-mail her with questions, suggestions, story ideas and comments!
